Sunday, January 11, 2009

Il Divo

Drew Dahle's Thoughts:
I checked out this Italian film because it had won 3rd prize at this year's Cannes Film Festival and I'd heard good things about its lead performance and cinematography.
Paolo Sorrentino's film is a biopic about Italian politician Giulio Andreotti (played by Tony Servillo) who has served the government in various capacities, including Prime Minister, since 1954. The film follows a period in the early 90s where he went to trial for ties to the mafia.
Sorrentino made this film like no political biopic I've seen. Immediately upon entering the film, it grabs you with an exhilarating energy courtesy of the spectacularly kinetic cinematography and editing. The most apt comparison to me, would be to a Guy Ritchie film but much classier. Servillo is quite good, and seems to pretty much transform into Andreotti.
Sorrentino does a good job putting the film together but doesn't pander to someone like me who knows nothing about Italian political history. The film is definitely worth seeing (even just for its fantastic aesthetic qualities) but I recommend perusing Andreotti's wikipedia page first so you aren't completely confused during the film. I'm looking forward to giving it another watch.

No comments: